Commencement Day for Graduates
Commencement service attendance is not mandatory, but it is a wonderful way to celebrate your educational achievements and to prepare yourself to embark on your new adventure.
Commencement Service Times - August 1, 2015
9:00 a.m. - all Undergraduate and Graduate candidates.
Candidates please arrive early. Doors open at 8:00 am for Graduates.
Cap and Gown Orders
You may order your cap and gown through the Concordia University Bookstore during your final term of study. The dates that the bookstore will begin taking orders for each commencement service are as follows:
- Fall Term Commencement: October 1
- Spring Term Commencement: February 1
- Summer Term Commencement: June 1
For a student to receive their cap and gown order from the Bookstore prior to Commencement, their eligibility to participate in the service must be confirmed by the Registrar's Office.
Questions regarding cap and gown orders, announcement and thank you note orders, class rings, etc. should be addressed to the bookstore directly. They can be contacted via email at email@example.com or by phone at 512.313.4850.
- You will need to include your full legal name, height, weight, and degree
- Orders received after the deadline will incur a $10.00 fee for expedited shipping
- Cap and gown orders may be picked up from the Concordia location of your choosing or you may have your order shipped to your home for an additional charge.
- Undergraduates eligible for Latin Honors will receive their honor cords with their cap and gown orders.
- Graduate students receive honors regalia only from the Honor Society to which they belong.
- Students must contact the Honor Society or Honor Society representative directly for Honor Society commencement regalia.
- Any order placed by a student ineligible to walk in commencement, or any order placed by a student who is eligible to walk but does not pick up their order by commencement day is subject to a $10.00 restocking fee.
- The bookstore will be present at the commencement site with any extra gowns, tassels, etc. that they have in stock. They will also have a supply of CTX items and diploma frames.
- Your cap and gown are yours to keep.
Graduates will line up in the Fellowship Hall across the plaza from the Auditorium, and should arrive at the commencement site no later than 45 minutes prior to when the service begins. Once there, locate your college or center (i.e. College of Business, College of Education, College of Liberal Arts, College of Science) and find the faculty marshal assigned to your college or center. In case of inclement weather, graduates will line up in the Auditorium lobby.
- You will be handed a card with your name on it and numeric indicator (i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4).
- Line up in sequence according to your number. This order is the processional order.
- Once you find your place in line, please remain there.
- Do not lose the card you are given. You will hand this card to the reader who will announce your name as you cross the stage.
- If your name has a unique pronunciation, you will tell this to the name reader as you give him your card.
- All tassels should be worn forward and to the right.
- Graduate Students: Be sure to have your hood with you. There are none available at the service.
- Graduate hoods should not be worn (you will be hooded during the service).
- Graduate hoods should be draped over the right arm, black side facing out, with the band of colored velvet next to the wrist.
Attire for Commencement Day
The commencement service is a professional event and student attire should reflect the pride and integrity befitting the occasion.
- For the men - closed toed shoes and socks should be worn with khaki or dress slacks or non-frayed blue jeans along with an appropriate shirt.
- For women - dresses may be worn or slacks with an appropriate blouse. Open-toe dress shoes are acceptable. However, no flip-flops should be worn.
During the processional, you must negotiate quite a number of stairs and cross a polished wood stage, so please wear shoes with an appropriate heel height and/or tread that comfortably allows for this activity. Please understand that in the past students have worn inappropriate shoes and have slipped or fallen during the service.
For Male Graduates
Because Concordia's commencement is also a worship service, there will be certain times in which male graduates will be expected to remove their caps. Please follow the stage party's example during the service. When they remove their caps, please remove yours, and replace yours when they replace theirs. Female graduates may leave their caps on.
Please use the Graduation Checklist (pdf) to make sure all necessary tasks are completed.
For additional information regarding the Commencement Service please contact Student Central at firstname.lastname@example.org.